Thursday, March 02, 2017

Because I hate wasting keystrokes at an away game...

So, after most of a month shooting nothing but the micro Glock 43, I took a fun day at the range Tuesday shooting normal-size Glocks again...

The Robar Glock 17 and my former G19 carry gun allow me to get my Glocking in without having to unholster the G19 on my hip. Both have 3.5# connector/NY1 spring carry-type trigger setups in them, despite the fancy-looking aftermarket triggers.

After all the time with the little Glock, going back to the big guns made things feel easy again. The 3x5 at seven yards was a clout shot again, and I was again able to go fast on the 8" circle without feeling like I was hanging on to a popsicle stick for dear life.

And then Wednesday, it was back to work with the Sig project...

P320 with Grayguns FCU, Boresight Solutions frame, and Dark Star Gear holster. And a stock P250.
Trying to do any kind of speed on a 3x5 at seven yards with a DAO trigger...even a smooth, light, seven pound DAO trigger...humbled the hell out of me after a month of striker-fire-only shooting...

When I commented that you'd see an initial performance deficit moving from either the SFA to the DAO or vice versa, a friend asked on Facebook:
"Is it because you build habit through repetition for a certain breaking point and changing that breaking point throws you off? Or, will a skilled individual always be able to shoot faster while staying accurate with a striker fire vs a DAO similarity to the way a skilled shooter will always able to score faster follow up shots with a 9mm vs a .40?"
And the response is where I blew a lot of the morning's keystrokes:
"That's kinda two separate questions:

1) You're going to notice a performance deficit going back and forth between triggers, no matter whether going from a shorter, lighter one to a longer, heavier one or vice versa. This is why I get so
hair-pullingly frustrated when people talk about "carry rotations". If I didn't have to shoot a bunch of different guns for work, I'd be putting 90% of all my trigger time into my carry gun, and that's the only one I'd be really serious about building performance with.

2) A skilled shooter is always going to turn in faster blind splits with a shorter, lighter trigger. If really smokin' Bill Drills are your metric for what makes a good carry gun, then there's your answer. However there are some really good discussions in the archives at pistol-forum.com
where smart folks like Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke talk about why maybe raw, blind splits aren't that important in a gun that's used as a people-management tool. Can I turn in faster splits with my Glock 19 than my P250? Sure. I can probably turn in even faster splits with the Wilson 9 or my pimped-out Grayguns 320. But I can absolutely drive that 250 as fast or faster than I can process the visual information of what's going on on the far side of my front sight."