Friday, September 11, 2015

Sales Pitch

Today's the big grand opening at Indy Arms Company, and I'm heading out soon to pull my normal shift.

It's funny, because I'm feeling a bit of trepidation. See, sales is not a thing that comes naturally to me; I'm a shy and introverted person by nature, and walking up to a stranger and engaging them in conversation is an entirely foreign notion. Heck, I don't even like calling people on the phone.

Thing is, I don't think what I do is sell guns so much as talk about guns. All you have to do is pull my string on the topic and off I go, in positively Aspie-like levels of detail and enthusiasm, on a topic near and dear to my heart. And then people buy the thing about which I am talking.

I've been behind the counter a long time, long enough that when I joked to a co-worker that I was filling out 4473s when he was still filling diapers, it was meant in jest but literally true. Yet every day I go in, I have to wrestle down that whole "OH GOD I HAVE TO TALK TO STRANGERS" thing. And today there are going to be a lot of strangers.

You should be one of them. Come see me!
.