Friday, May 13, 2016

pfffft!

Another hundred rounds of .357SIG from Lucky Gunner at the range yesterday, Federal American Eagle 125gr FMJ and Remington 125gr FMJ.

I hadn't yet tried the American Eagle, and I was interested to see how the inexpensive (relatively, at least) target ammo from the company that invented .357 SIG fared.

Quite well, as it turned out. There was only one jarring note to the range trip, and it came from the Remington stuff...

A primer loaded sideways that I somehow missed while loading mags went "pfffft!" when I pulled the trigger. Having flashbacks to godawful Turkish surplus 8mm Mauser, I instinctively benched the pistol and stepped into the next bay to start "One Mississippi, two Mississippi..." before I realized what must have happened and cleared the pistol. This was round #62 of the day.

As you can see, the Federal was largely kept in a 2" circle at seven yards, and without a terrible amount of effort. The Remington has holes all over the place, some of which were as a result of me trying to video the muzzle flash while shooting strong-hand-only (failed) and some of which were because I was tired and my hands were sweaty and my glasses were fogging and just whatever sort of excuse you want to blame.

That makes 568 total rounds fired with three failures to go completely into battery (#63, #78, #126) and three failures to feed (#221, #224, #282). 1,432 rounds left to go.
.