Monday, November 07, 2016

Another casualty of the election season...

I follow William Gibson's Twitter feed. Dude churns up lots of interesting stuff, both artsy and science-y, and I've learned a lot from it.

But to say that Gibson and I don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of political issues would be the understatement of the year. (Of course, "Understatement of the Year" is a damned low hurdle in this, the Year of Hyperbole.)

His popularity means Twitter's algorithms cluster his stuff near the top of my feed. Combine that with the fact that here in peak election season, he tweets in huge chunks, five or ten minute bursts of a dozen or more mostly politically-oriented tweets, and it means that I'll have to page down two or three times to actually see tweets from people I know.

If Twitter is trying to make me set up a reader rather than use my raw feed, they're going about it the right way. I normally only use that for work tweets.

As it is, I've had to unfollow Gibson until the election crazy settles down, or I'd never see anything but him